As I announced a while ago, I’m on contract with a major publisher to co-write a table-top RPG with a wuxia theme and setting. We’ve been playtesting the game for the past few months with experienced players, and now I would like to put out a call for players to join a new group which will be run online by me. In terms of my qualifications as a GM, I have GM’d off-and-on for over 15 years, mostly with the d20 system. Before leaving China, I ran a very successful 5e campaign that took the players from level 1 to level 8.
That said, our wuxia game does not use d20, but rather, another system that should be easy for anyone familiar with TTRPGs to pick up. It is gritty and unforgiving. Do not be surprised if your character loses a limb in a fight in level 1 or develops an unquenchable thirst for blood during the process of reaching level 2. And death is a real possibility, so pick your battles wisely: this is definitely not a hack-n-slash dungeon crawl game.
IMPORTANT: the genre is WUXIA. Not xianxia, not xuanhuan, not immortal cultivation. If you don’t understand the difference between those genres, then watch this video for more info. It is inspired mostly by the works of Gu Long, although not exclusively. If you haven’t read his novels, you can find some here on WuxiaWorld. Translated by me: Heroes Shed No Tears, 7 Killers, Dragon King with Seven Stars. Translated by RWX: Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre. There are also tons of movies out there based on Gu Long’s works, such as Magic Blade (1976), Death Duel (1977), The Duel (2000), Sword Master (2016), and many more.
Requirements to apply:
- Be able to play consistently on Tuesdays, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. PST for 2-3 months. (I understand that real life is difficult to navigate, so missing an occasional session or being late every once in a while is okay. But I’m looking for a serious commitment here. Please only apply if you are confident you can attend regularly)
- Have a webcam, microphone, and stable internet connection
- Understand what table-top RPGs are and how to play them
- Be willing to get in character and roleplay
- Understand what wuxia is and be passionate about the genre
- Be fluent in English and unafraid to communicate at full speed with native English speakers
Major bonus points if you:
- Have experience playing D&D, Pathfinder, Call of Cthuhlu, GUPRS, etc.
- Have experience playing other wuxia TTRPGs such as Ogre Gate, Weapons of the Gods, Feng Shui, Legends of the Wulin, Tianxia, Qin: the Warring States, etc.
- Have experience playtesting games
- Have read Gu Long novels or watched movie/TV show adaptations of them
Minor bonus points if you:
- Have read wuxia novels other than those written by Gu Long
- Have watched wuxia movies or TV shows
- Have a cool idea for a character (general description and/or backstory)
- Have your own polyhedral dice
- Are a hardcore fan of shows like Critical Role or DCA
This is not a paid position. However, you will receive credit as a playtester. Also, depending on how things go, I might keep the group together to continue playing this game long-term, or possibly start a 5e campaign.
Since I’m sure some people might ask, no I will not be live-streaming the playtest sessions.
If you’ve read all the way to this point, I’m guessing you might be interested in applying. To do so, simply e-mail me at issth-deathblade at yahoo.com with the subject WUXIA RPG, and explain how you meet the requirements, as well as what bonus points you qualify for. I hope to select a group of players within 5 days, so if you haven’t heard back from me by then, it means your application has not been accepted.
At this point, I'm going to stop checking the comments. If you have any questions for me, please leave them as a response to my comment below, that way I'll get a notification. Considering how many people applied, there will definitely be a second round of communication before I pick the final group. To everyone who has already applied, please be patient; I'll be sending out the followup messages in the next day or two.