Readers and friends, it's very hard for me to believe this, but today marks the FOURTH anniversary of Wuxiaworld's founding on December 22, 2014! Four entire freaking years, gone by in the blink of an eye. It might take a long time to describe, but in truth it happened in as much time as needed for a spark to fly off a piece of flint. Four years of novels, and literally billions of chapters read! It's been an amazing experience, and I want to thank you all for having been a part of it. For a brief look at history, take a look at our one year and two year anniversary posts here!
Without question, 2017 and 2018 have been very rocky and eventful years, but they've also been good ones. We've seen a proliferation of new translators with more to come, and I'm particularly proud of the VIP/advance chapter system; the system has allowed so many of our translators to go from being part-time to full-time while STILL letting everyone continue to read 12-14 chapters each week for many novels for free. While there are still many areas we can improve in, the future looks bright to me. With that in mind, I want to talk a bit about what we're focusing on for 2019!
1) New Wuxiaworld mobile app launching in late Q1 2019! We've been working on an app in fits and starts via both outsourcing and direct hires, but for various reasons none of it worked out very well. I'm pleased to announce that we've since entered a deeper partnership with one of our best raw site partners, Zongheng! They are loaning (or 'renting', rather) one of their own app development teams to bring a good Wuxiaworld app to both iOS and Android! Zongheng is one of the biggest Chinese webnovel sites, and their teams have a great deal of experience. We'll have a Wuxiaworld mobile experience we can all be proud of!
2) A big ebook push! Not only will we be doing a revised and re-edited (to an even higher standard) version of Coiling Dragon on Amazon, our editors and artists are hard at work preparing big ebook releases for a few completed novels like Skyfire Avenue, I Shall Seal the Heavens, Desolate Era, Against the Gods, and (in a first) the Godsfall Chronicles! Godsfall in particular I think would be a good fit for Western audiences on Amazon, and it's our first attempt to seeing if an 'active' translation works well. If things go well, we might bring more heavily edited active translations on so it's all permanently available in the pocket of your palm! We'll also be doing many regular ebook giveaways, so stay tuned and keep an eye out for things.
3) Front-end redesign. I myself am by nature an ascetic and like simple, plain colors, but I do know that many of you have been rather annoyed with the spartan, 'drab' colors of the current design. We get it! We'll be sprucing up the site as well as continue to add in more and more functionality for both VIP users and regular users, such as messaging, a rating/review system, and a proper profile page in Q1 and Q2 of 2019. Just sit tight!
4) More novels (all full-time). We expect to be bringing on a lot more novels in general, with the pace being noticeably faster than it was in 2018!
5) More girly novels. Honestly, we haven't done a very good job of attracting female readers with all our lovable murderhobo (Google it) stories, making Wuxiaworld a bit of a sausage fest. One of the things I really want to do is do a better job of providing good books for everyone, not just 'the boys' like myself. We'll definitely be doing a big push on more novels with female leads, especially female cultivation-style novels, and maybe even a few 'hegemonic CEO' novels. Who knows - combined with the new messaging system, maybe if it all works out some of you guys will find true love on Wuxiaworld. Wuxiaworld Personals? Hm, must ponder with great ponderings... but no, before you ask - no BL novels. Just too off-brand for us!
6) Super duper secret manhua project. Sorry, this is so super duper secret I shouldn't even be mentioning it here. All I'm saying is that Wuxiaworld will be expanding significantly next year, and to just keep an eye on the announcements. Who knows... if everything works out and if you are North American, you might just see a VERY familiar American company name in the news (or at least here) as being a Wuxiaworld partner in the manhua/manhwa/manga/comic game in 2019. Stay tuned!
Once again, I want to thank each and every one of you for whatever support you have provided in the past four years. It's been a hell of a ride for this ex-diplomat. I'm already dreaming of writing the 'ten year anniversary' post. Much love to all of you!