FYI – I think I’ve finally nailed down the culprit, which per Bluehost was causing my own PHP to ‘fork bomb’ my server, all the way from the usual load of 1-2 to 110 earlier. I think it might have been that damn thermometer plugin. I’ve been testing all the plugins one by one now, and as soon as I re-enabled the thermometer, the load started to climb again, from 1 all the way up to 3, with no signs of stopping. When I disabled it, it went back down again. I’m leaving the thermometer gone for now and will just something in manually. Sorry for the hassle guys.
EDIT: Yes, it is definitely the Olimometer! I enabled all other plugins; no problem. Enabled Olimometer; within five minutes, it spiked up to a server load of 6 and rapidly climbing! After disabling it again, now it’s going back down. Tested it twice, same! We shouldn’t have this problem again! Will put in a replacement!